Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Glazed Carrots


I was inspired by this recipe over at Good Things Catered when I needed something to go with a piece of chicken the boyfriend wanted to make for me. He doesn't much care for vegetables, so if I want something healthy with my meat, I inevitably have to take care of it myself.
I love carrots and these just looked so good, I had to try them. Unfortunately, I didn't have many of the ingredients, and I was too lazy to run to the store (which is only across the street... Sometimes, I take lazy to a whole new level).
I will probably make the original recipe sometime in the future when I have the ingredients on hand, but in the meantime, I'll make it my way. Even the boyfriend asked for seconds, and he's the epitome of a "steak-and-potato" man.

You will need:

- 7 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onions/large shallots, diced
- 30 g/2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- ca. 400 ml concentrated chicken stock (if using cubes, use half the amount of water stated on the box)
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 heaped Tablespoon of good quality honey
- 1 heaped teaspoon of thyme

  • In a large pot or saucepan, sautée onions, then add the carrots.
  • Top with margarine/butter and salt
  • Stirring frequently, cook for about 3 minutes
  • Add honey and stir to coat onions and carrots
  • Pour stock over carrots until they are just covered
  • Add vinegar
  • Stirring frequently, cook uncovered until carrots are soft, but not mushy. Mine took 15 minutes. Time will vary depending on thickness of slices
  • Any liquid should by now have turned into a thick glaze. If there's liquid left, remove the carrots from the pot and reduce liquid over high heat until you like the consistency. Then put carrots back into the pot and stir to coat
  • Toss with thyme
  • Serve right away
This is perfect with mashed potatoes and the chicken the boyfriend made. The next time I'll make this, I will not serve chicken with this and use butter on the carrots. Of course, if you don't keep kosher, go ahead and use butter and chicken stock. That will probably give you the best taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment